The Evolving Landscape of Soccer from the Youth to the College to the Pros
TUCSON COACHING SYMPOSIUM l FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 18 6PM
Join us for an opportunity to bring the Southern Arizona Coaching community together for a chance to meet players, coaches, technical directors at all levels of the game to discuss:
- Provide insight into professional training & game day environments
- Gain insight into objectives, strategies, & performance indicators in executing training sessions
- Learn best practices & helpful tips to promote & integrate top young talent towards the pros
- Understand evolving soccer landscape & new pathways from youth to adult/pro soccer
A 45-minute discussion featuring panelists from:
- USL Pro Academy Technical Director, United Soccer League, Liam O’Connell
- Former FC Tucson PDL Player, FC Tucson Pro Academy Coach & First Team Assistant Seba Penida,
- Becca Moros, Head Coach, University of Arizona Women’s Soccer
- Head Coach and Technical Director, Danny Cruz & James O’Connor, Louisville FC (USL Championship)
- Player Pathway – past vs. present/future
- What was the “pro pathway” like when you were a player?
- What were some of your biggest challenges in becoming a pro player?
- What makes you so optimistic about the future?
- Landscape of youth soccer
- How has the youth landscape changed over time?
- What set-up do you feel is the clearest path to the pro level?
- How do you think youth & pro clubs can work together?
- Your USL club’s pro pathway
- What makes it unique?
- What culture/values are you looking to instill at the club?
- What are your expectations as a staff member?
- What do you look for in young players?
- The current state of college soccer
- What efforts should these players be putting in towards being recruited to play college soccer?
- Can a young player still make it as a pro player after playing college?
- What should a player consider in deciding on a potential school, especially if they still have an interest in making it as a pro?
- General advice for a young player with
- What advice would you give a young player at this event, who is hoping to be seen & promoted to a higher level some day?
- How should a player act on/off-field in an environment they are being watched? (trick question: “never know who’s watching”)
- What advice would you give on overcoming adversity & facing challenges in pursuing your pro path?
- What character/personality traits do you look for most in assessing talented young players for the next level?